What is sleep apnea?
Sleep apnea is a condition where breathing starts and stops during sleep. With sleep apnea patients have repeated interrupt sleep where they snore loudly or gasp for air while breathing.
Obstructive sleep apnea causes the tissue in your throat to relax and the airway to be blocked. It is important for anyone that suffers from this syndrome to seek help from a professional.
What is sleep apnea treatment?
Bemis Family Dental offers a few different options for sleep apnea treatment. We always recommend visiting our office if you are experiencing symptoms of sleep apnea. If left untreated, more serious health issues can arise.
Treatment options for sleep apnea:
- A CPAP or continuous positive airway pressure device may recommended to help you sleep. This device fits over a patient’s mouth and nose, and gently blows air into the airway. This keeps the airway open during sleep, and prevents snoring or gasping for air. The CPAP mask is cumbersome for some patients, but it is an effective way to treat sleep apnea.
- If you have a severe condition of sleep apnea, surgery may be recommended. The surgery will remove excess tissue in the patient’s throat. This will prevent the throat from collapsing during sleep.
- Lifestyle habits play a large part with the treatment of sleep apnea. Changing how often you exercise can help eliminate extra tissue in the throat area and can alleviate symptoms.
- Changing positions while you sleep may also be recommended and can help with sleep apnea symptoms.
- Treating allergies is another way to help clear the airway and prevent sleep apnea.
If you or a family member can benefit from sleep apnea treatment and you would like to learn more, contact our office to schedule a consultation.